Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Patience, Usefulness, and Goodness

A few weeks ago, I was able to attend church with a family that is very close us. As we arrived and the service was starting, one of the kids grabbed my hand and joyfully ushered me to a seat. The past few days, I have been thinking about that image. When was the last time I joyfully lead someone to hear about Christ? Maybe leading someone by the hand is a bit much, but what have I done that accomplishes the same goal. What is it about children that allows them to so freely and fully give like they do? They don't hold anything back and that includes telling others about Christ. 

As I have become an adult, I have become a very accepting person. I have learned that everyone has their own stories filled with both hope and pain. I try to not make others feel bad about the choices they have made, but at the same time try to make the reason why I live the way I do clear. Is this enough though? Should I find my local street corner and start proclaiming (not in this weather...burr)? Where is the line then? How far into someones life should I trespass?

I have tried to live it out by example so others could see, and then when they need help in their life they will be likely to seek me out. Sometimes I complain about being a problem solver, but the truth is I love it. I love it because I’m good at it. I’m good at it because that's how God made me. I loved working at camp, because there is always a million problems that need fixing. I felt needed and useful.

During this transition it has been tough. I have felt like a star player sitting on the bench. Fouled out of the game and having to watch others do what I love. Its the uselessness that makes waiting so hard. Not that I always have the coolest head in an emergency, it is just so ingrained inside of me to act. That's why for me this has not a period of rest, it has been a period of inaction.

I have been searching through the little moments in my day how I can act. At work there is opportunity, but it is just a small means to no end. At best I am ensuring that some children know they are cared for. A good thing for sure, but not enough.

The search to find what is next for us has been very hard. I sit at the computer and look through listings, check church websites, listen to sermons online, research the area even stalk the church staff on facebook. I see what they are doing, the type of person they want to come serve at their church and immediately my mind starts reeling. I notice immediate gaps, see instant improvements. I’m not saying I’m perfect, its just that action is to strong inside of me, it is my immediate reaction to most things.

But, in the end it is just nice thoughts. I wait, desperate to act, to be needed and feel useful, while at the same time trying unbearably to understand what exactly God wants me to learn in this time.

While I wait, I am warm, fed, clothed, and loved. My heart strives to be content with this, but without being useful, it is difficult. So, I ask you pray for me to be content with what is before me. I ask for patience. I also ask to that you pray for me to be ok with not being needed. That I am not useless.

This verse in look has been looming over me for the past year or so. It has kind of become my mission, and the thing that really has helped my carry on. Luke 6:45 “A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”

Here’s to goodness.

3 comments:

  1. I'll pray for you, big brother. The same instrument can't be used all the time; sometimes the Master Creator needs to put it down for a moment in the plan. Not only that, but constant use will eventually wear the instrument right out, and make it unusable. Be at rest =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy & Mike, please allow me to share some wisdom God has taught me with you in hopes that it encourages you a little bit. I have discovered that God is not a poor manager of His people or of time. He does not allow an eager servant to go to waste. His eyes are roaming the earth, looking to strengthen those whose hearts are fully devoted to Him. He equips His saints to do the good works He has prepared for them in advance. He will absolutely not waste the gifts He has placed in you,, He will not waste the knowledge He has given you, He will not waste your devotion to Him, He will not waste your readiness to serve Him. I remember very distinctly being in perhaps a very similar place in heart. What I was doing was not enough. I wanted to make a difference, I wanted to make an impact. There have been days that I told God over and over something along the lines of "You see what's in my heart, You know I am willing to do what many are not, and yet you don't send me out..." I remember very distinctly this time, yearning and longing to make an impact (because let's face it, real life is not like camp where you have a scheduled one-on-one) in those around me, to build the kingdom...etc. And I remember feeling so restless and so useless and so unused. What I didn't realize at the time (for how could I know??) that I was on the threshold, the brink, of a very great assignment from the Lord, and the most difficult, heartwrenching season of my life in service to Him. Two children were dropped off at our doorstep and its been two years now and counting and they are still here. And my life has been forever changed. And I thank God He considered me worthy for such a calling. But looking back, I wish that I had been also thankful for the season of yearning for more, the season of patience, the season of stillness, waiting, and calm. Because I don't know if I will ever have that season again. God has put in your hearts this desire and yearning to serve Him. It is not us that need to show God the condition of our hearts and convince Him of our sincerity of love and desire to be used. It is He who puts that desire there, He who cultivates it, and He who leads us. He will not waste you. He will use you. You will not waste your life if your hearts are devoted to Him and His purposes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you friends for your comments. Patience (in waiting) has never really been a strong suit. We are waiting and praying and searching our hearts daily. Thank you for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete